Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sarcasm gets you nowhere but in trouble

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a very sarcastic person. Usually my comments are not said out of spite or anger, kinda of more like a humorous (yet slightly mean) commentary on the situation. And at times, I even enjoy taking pride in how I can be witty with sarcasm or come off mean. One of my favourite lines I used to describe myself is:
"I am extremely fluent in sarcasm."

However, time and time again I am learning that sarcasm gets you nowhere but in trouble. I have realized that sometimes my sarcasm isn't picked up and I just come off like a rude or snotty 'you know what'. 

And in addition to that, sometimes I come off as a bit of a drama queen. So, add in someone else with a strong personality, who doesn't realize my sarcastic comments are not meant to personally attack them, and you have a recipe for disaster! 

Today, I learned that the tough way. Though honestly, I do not even know what I said that warranted such a response (a non-public outburst followed by an angry email) from someone who felt I personally attacked them. Although this misunderstanding could only have come from a sarcastic comment I must have made, I must have unknowingly said something offensive when employing the dangerous literary device that is sarcasm. 

So now I am left with nothing more than prayer, scripture and time (to wait this out a bit). Here are a few verses for you if you too struggle with being a queen (or king) of sarcasm.

Let no corrupting talk come out of your moths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. --Ephesians 4:29 
Let what you say be simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything more than this comes from evil. --Matthew 5:37
The good persona out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the hear his mouth speaks. --Luke 6:45
And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. --Luke 6:31

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Background is from: http://dearscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/4-University-of-Glasgow.jpg