Channel Issue #22 “Remember Our Parents”
Date of Publication: June 19, 2011
"The family should be a closely knit group. The home should be a self-contained shelter of security; a kind of school where life’s basic lessons are taught; and a kind of church where God is honored; a place where wholesome recreation and simple pleasures are enjoyed." --Billy Graham
Just a Little About Us
![]() | |
| Hi, my name is Bonnie and I am a third year student at the University of Calgary. I study Marketing, am currently doing an internship at Power to Change Ministries and love watching crime shows. |
![]() |
| This is my sister Holly. She is 17 years old and will graduate from high school this year. She also loves the Calgary Flames and baking. |
Support Makes All the Difference
My parents have been beyond supportive in all things my sister and I have wanted to do. Both academically, professionally or spiritually. Even in the past five years, my aspirations and dreams have been every-which way. From wanting to be a business women, to a biologist, to a teacher, they were always there cheering me on from the sidelines. Other times, their support not only came from the sidelines but beyond. For example, it was a conversation I had with my dad that allowed me to clearly see that God was calling to go on project to East Asia with Campus for Christ last summer.
One normal Saturday afternoon, my parents and I were having lunch. Eventually the conversation came to rest on the topic of missions. My father asked me, “Have you ever thought of going to Asia for a missions trip?” My answer was quick and abrupt, “Sort of… not really... plus I don’t even have a way to go.” Although I knew that the club I am involved with was sending a team to East Asia I thought that I couldn’t make it, and honestly never really thought about it. God really used this short conversation to open my eyes and showed me how he had been preparing me for that trip long before this talk.
It was during my time on this missions trip that God showed me where he wanted me next. Through a series of different events, I came to realize that God was asking me to dedicate eight months of time to move out to Langley, British Columbia to do an internship with Power To Change. At debrief I called my parents to tell them that I had committed my following year to the Lord. They asked me once if I was sure and upon me telling them that was what I felt the Lord was calling me to do, they were behind me 100%.
I truly believe that God has used my parents as an example and inspiration to me. My dad and mom has been and are committed followers of Jesus Christ, loyal church goers and completely supportive. Their love and encouragement has not only brought me closer to them but also to our Lord Jesus Christ.
Are They Still Alive?
My dad passed away August 29, 2010 but his legacy continues. His love for the Lord shone through into all aspects of his life. It was evident in his work, with his friends and with his family.
How the Death of My Earthly Dad Brought Me Closer To My Heavenly Dad
It's like when a parent says they don't have a favorite child, I think the same holds true when children are talking about parents. Although I love my mom dearly, with no shame, I would say I am, and have always been daddy's little girl.
Ever since I can remember, I have admired my dad. Every other kid I knew wanted to be a teacher, a ballerina, an astronaut or any other occupation that came from the colorful pages of storybook, but I wanted to be an engineer. My dad was an engineer! (I can now safely say that I have no future as an engineer. I found out the hard way, in high school I realized I couldn't do physics to save my life.)
Last summer, life seemed to be going so well. We were a happy family, closer than we have been for a long time. Everything looked like they were falling into place. My sister had determined what she wanted as her career path, I had made a major decision to work short term in BC, and we were all loving life.
Yet in a blink of an eye, that all changed. One moment I was talking to my dad, and the next he was on the ground. Within 48 hours, we would be taken from us.
My dad was a soft spoken man, always there with a smile and a helping hand. He was a young man, just in his fifties, a loving father and husband. How could this have happen? Why us?
I wanted to be mad at God, I really did, and yet I couldn't. I was sad beyond anything, but there was a transcending force that showed me peace. I didn't understand it and I didn't want to. The man that I knew would love me no matter what was gone.
The days following his death were a whirlwind. The sympathetic words of others sounded hollow and empty, and their regards sounded like insensitive remarks. But through this all, the overwhelming sense of peace was still with me and drove me to ask the question "Why?"
I knew I was a Christian, but up until this point I have never felt so helpless, as if I was reduced to nothing. While being in this low place in my life, I felt this intense yearn to leave the hustle and the bustle of the city. I just wanted to sit in the stillness of the majestic mountains and might God.
It was there that God showed me how much he loved me and even in the chaos, he never changes. It was as if in the midst of blizzard, someone came out with a giant blanket and gave me a big hug. He explained to me that although life on earth was short, that if I lived it for him, it is worth it.
The pain I experienced with losing my dad showed me just a glimpse of how God would have felt when he sent his own son, Jesus, to come to the earth to die for us and redeem us from our sins. That is love. It is a love that I cannot understand, but know that I cannot live without.
That day, while I was sitting between the beautiful mountains and looking down at the sapphire blue water, God held me in his arms and said,
"Bonnie, your earthly dad is now celebrating in heaven with me right now,
but you are still a daddy's girl. You are my girl."
but you are still a daddy's girl. You are my girl."



3 comments:
Thanks for sharing :) I think I recognize the last section of your post as taken verbatim from one of your previous posts, right?
Anyways... I think I'll just end with a light-hearted (but still very serious) comment. You know how I said your sister looks like Hannah? I was wrong. I know who she looks like, now. Lydia Low! Do you know Lydia?
It's mostly due to the glasses and her smirk in one of those photos, lol :P
yup. i did warn you at the beginning of the post that the last section i sorta recycled.
ive seen pictures of her before. i can see the resemblance. but i think it's just the glasses.
Yeah, it's just the glasses, and maybe the smirk. And the Chinese-ness.
Post a Comment