Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Day 3-5: Unexpected Spiritual Conversations

If you were starting to get worried that I wasnt keeping my end of the bargain, fear not, I am still here!

On the 3rd, I read the passage and was just too tired to write about it. Yesterday, I started a post on chapter 3 and then got side tracked. Yes, I am extremely A.D.D. and shiny things distract me but that's not what happened yesterday.

I started this little "Go through Matthew in 28 days" since I realized I needed to get my butt off the spiritual couch and do something about my unmotivation. Well yesterday, I got a swift kick of motivation.

Oh man! God works in crazy ways!

As I was tapping away on my keyboard last night, I get one of those blinky notification from Facebook telling me someone is messaging me. To my surprise it is someone I haven't seen or even talked to in years. (I had met him a few times since he is a friend of a friend) He had asked me if I could click on the link and 'like' this youtube video for him. To be honest, at first I was a little sketched thinking it might be a cyber eat my computer link or something like that but he told me it's so he had a chance to win a tablet. Win a tablet? That sounds familiar. So I gave the random link a try and voila it is his 'this is my story' submission.

The video itself was kinda a mess. He didnt say much, you could hardly hear the random things he did say and the camera wasn't close enough to his face cause the majority of the screen was just some white sheets.

Despite all that, I knew this was a chance to have a conversation. He was the one that approached me with his video and ultimately the invitation to talk. His video was unclear in answering the question "who are you?" and therefore allowed for a lot of followup questions. That all being said, there would be no conversation if I wasn't faithful in starting it. But I was scared. I had never had a "real spiritual" conversation with someone over facebook. We are always being encouraged to try to reach out to our friends through social media and such but it scared me. I have enough trouble settling my nerves when I talk to my friends in person but how am I supposed to know what to say when I can't see them? (In hind sight, I suppose that it does make sense that online would actually be easier since the grace period between reading a message and responding is actually much higher than when someone says something and you just blankly stare back at them) But God was there. This would be his conversation. So I just trusted that he would be there and give me the words.

As we talked it became clear that he is struggling with who he sees himself as and he feels like he is only being a "good person" because of how he was raised. He also says that he's looking into God in the past and it didn't "seem to fit" but now he's willing to give it a try.

We briefly talked about how he could "give God a try" and he said that he might come out to church on Sunday as well as going to the P2C This is My Story Gala.

Turns out that many of the MRU P2C students know him and have classes with him. So please pray that as he gets to know and trust Christians, he will come to know Jesus.

Also, I hope this story might encourage you if you've been feeling blah in your relationship with Jesus. God is always faithful and you may be surprised with how he will use you when you're willing to trust him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Background is from: http://dearscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/4-University-of-Glasgow.jpg